Location: Frankfurt am Main (Germany) or Montreal, Quebec (Canada) preferred. Other IFRS hub locations considered.
(office-based role, with flexible, hybrid office/home working offered)
Salary: Competitive, plus benefits
About the role
Reports to: ISSB Acting Executive Technical Director
Team: We are seeking an experienced, corporate sustainability reporting expert to join the ISSB’s technical leadership team and support the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB)’s work to develop IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards, through the delivery of technical projects.
As a member of the ISSB’s senior staff, you will:
- manage and develop ISSB technical staff;
- lead technical projects and standard-setting activities;
- act as a representative of the ISSB and manage stakeholder engagement;
- contribute to the strategic development, management and delivery of the ISSB’s activities and work plan; and
- provide senior-level input on wider organisational matters.
Staff management and development
- Effectively manage, coach and develop team members.
- Undertake staff-related processes such as performance reviews and determining pay.
- Provide and communicate a clear, consistent sense of purpose and direction.
- Lead by example and role-model the skills and behaviours expected of staff.
- Work with colleagues to:
- plan, manage and allocate resources to meet project demands.
- develop best practices to support effective operations and standard-setting activities across the ISSB technical staff.
Provide leadership for technical projects and standard-setting activities alongside other senior staff
- Oversee the development of technical proposals for consideration by the ISSB, ensuring they are practical, technically coherent and the underlying architecture drives useful sustainability disclosures in the capital markets.
- Facilitate the ISSB’s decision-making through robust and rigorous research, discussion and drafting/review of proposals.
- Provide strategic direction to projects and identify and manage political issues and risks.
- Use project management disciplines to develop and monitor progress and ensure agreed timescales and performance measures are achieved.
- Ensure appropriate adherence to due process at all stages in the project life cycle.
- Oversee the drafting and publication of due process documents.
Manage stakeholder relationships effectively to ensure maximum support and buy-in for the organisation’s work
- Ensure there is appropriate stakeholder outreach at each stage of the project lifecycle and in other organisational activities.
- Lead the technical engagement with ISSB Members, ensuring a positive and collaborative relationship is maintained.
- Identify appropriate stakeholder groups and develop key relationships.
- Act as a credible and authoritative representative of the ISSB and consult with a wide range of external stakeholders from industry and the accounting, investment, regulatory, sustainability and standard-setting communities, to ascertain their views and to share information.
Work with other ISSB senior staff to contribute to the development and delivery of the Board’s activities and workplan.
Contribute to senior management (IASB, ISSB and IFRS Foundation) debate and action on the development, management and culture of the wider organisation.
Skills, experience & qualifications sought
Technical knowledge and thinking abilities
- Demonstrates expert understanding of sustainability reporting standards, frameworks and regulations, and corporate sustainability reporting matters.
- Demonstrates detailed, practical knowledge of capital markets and the links between sustainability-related risks and opportunities and enterprise value.
- Demonstrates technical expertise, judicious thinking, open-mindedness and strategic awareness when analysing issues to propose well-reasoned recommendations which draw out implications.
- Shows rigour, consistency and attention to detail in work.
- Makes proportionate and timely decisions, consulting with internal and externals parties appropriately.
Managing self and relationships
- Leads by example; inspires trust amongst staff, the Board and external stakeholders.
- Can develop and communicate a sense of purpose and direction and lead all involved to desired outcomes.
- Is enthusiastic, proactive, and motivated, working effectively under pressure, and remains positive even when faced with setbacks.
- Self-aware. Flexible and open to change.
- Demonstrates professionalism and respect for others.
- Able to effectively manage individuals with different backgrounds and styles.
- Focuses on team’s contributions over individual contributions.
- Manages key stakeholder relationships effectively, builds consensus on key issues, with the ability to leverage a strong network of stakeholder advocates.
- Facilitates individual and organisational growth and development by coaching and empowering staff, providing timely and constructive feedback, and promoting knowledge sharing and learning.
Planning and delivering work
- Sets appropriate objectives, responsibilities, timetables and priorities for teams.
- Delegates work effectively and builds teams appropriately.
- Anticipates problems and develops contingency plans; comfortable with ambiguity and unpredictability.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for work output and quality and is able to make difficult decisions to move work forward.
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Communicates in a concise, clear and well-structured way, appropriately tailored to the audience, taking account of strategic, diplomatic and political sensitivities.
- Able to communicate persuasively and authentically, based on evidence and balanced analysis, with robust analyses of alternative views and defensible support of recommendations.
- Presents effectively to internal and external audiences.
- Listens actively; understands and respects others' viewpoints; synthesises and summarises feedback accurately and completely.
- Acts as an ambassador for the organisation, showing diplomacy, gravitas, maturity and technical expertise.
Please send a detailed CV/résumé to email@example.com. Please include the following information or your application may not be considered:
- the job title/position you are interested in and the location of the job (in the subject line of your email); and
- covering email/letter detailing how you meet the specified role requirements and your salary expectations.
Closing date: 30 June 2023
Interviews are held via video conference as part of our standard international recruitment process.
Due to the number of responses we receive, we are unable to respond individually to each application. If you do not hear from us within four weeks of the closing date you may assume that your application has been unsuccessful.