Salary: Dependent upon experience
Who we are and what we do
The IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) Foundation is an independent, not-for-profit organisation which works in the public interest. Our mission is to develop Standards that bring transparency, accountability and efficiency to financial markets around the world. Our work serves the public interest by fostering trust, growth and long-term financial stability in the global economy.
The Foundation is a stimulating and challenging place to work. We have around 150 staff, mainly based in London, drawn from nearly 30 nationalities covering roles in technical accounting, operational and support functions.
What we are looking for
Technical Managers and Senior Technical Managers focus primarily on the technical aspects of a project but they must also have an understanding of the wider set of risks to the project, including political issues. All Technical Managers are thorough in their approach and Senior Technical Managers are capable of dealing effectively and efficiently with more than one project concurrently.
You will need to have previous experience of applying IFRS Standards and detailed knowledge of IFRS Standards. You will be expected to work with subject matter experts where appropriate. Specifically your responsibilities will include:
- Support senior staff in managing technical projects by:
- Developing project plans, and setting and meeting milestones in accordance with the planned timetable.
- Managing committees and working groups.
- Managing technical administrative matters.
- Supervising the work of others
- Develop proposals on specific accounting issues for consideration by the International Accounting Standards Board (the Board) and facilitate decision-making on the issues identified by:
- Undertaking research to support proposals.
- Initiating and leading small group meetings with Board members.
- Drafting recommendations and presenting them to the Board.
- Consult with a wide range of external stakeholders from industry and the accounting, investment, regulatory and standard-setting communities in order to ascertain their views and to share research, materials and information about the organisation, technical projects and the standard-setting process.
- Act as a credible and authoritative representative of the Board by leading formal meetings and presentations.
- Prepare and review a range of papers and documents including staff papers, discussion papers, exposure drafts, IFRS Standards, IFRIC Interpretations, press releases, project summaries, feedback statements, effect analyses, web summaries, Q&A summaries and PowerPoint presentations.
What you will need
Skills and attributes
- Well-developed technical knowledge of IFRS Standards on a range of subjects.
- Strong research and analytical skills to understand in detail a wide range of complex financial reporting issues.
- Able to identify both the research requirements and the type of evidence to collect;
- Ability to think conceptually and objectively about technical financial reporting issues and to identify and develop practical solutions.
- Ability to understand and consider different positions on a particular issue and respond to and challenge them constructively.
- Good standard of oral English with the ability to present competently at meetings (for Technical Manager candidates) and to effectively lead meetings (for Senior Technical Manager candidates).
- Strong written English with the ability to write clear and concise documents on a range of technical subjects.
- Ability to work flexibly and to adapt to changing priorities.
- Strong team ethic, with the proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others.
- Commitment to the objectives of the Board and to the ideals of standard-setting in the public interest.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree or accountancy / CFA qualification.
- Previous experience and detailed knowledge of applying and interpreting IFRS Standards across a range of technical areas.
- Previous experience of working on technical projects (for Technical Manager candidates) or of leading technical projects (for Senior Technical Manager candidates) in accounting policy, standard-setting, financial / auditing practice, banking or regulation.
- Technical report writing experience in an academic, financial, standard-setting or regulatory environment.
To apply, please send a detailed CV and covering letter outlining why you meet the requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 23 June 2017
Due to the number of responses we receive we are unable to respond individually to each application. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date you may assume that your application has been unsuccessful.