The Trustees of the IFRS Foundation, responsible for the governance and oversight of the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB), announced today the appointment of six new members of the IFRS Advisory Council. The IFRS Advisory Council is the formal advisory body to the Trustees and the IASB.
The new Advisory Council Members are as follows:
- Mr Gavin Francis, Deputy Group Chief Accounting Officer, HSBC Holdings plc (representing the Institute of International Finance)
- Mr Ernesto López Mozo, Chief Financial Officer, Ferrovial S.A
- Mr Ricardo Piña Gutierrez, General Director of Market Supervision, Comision Nacional Bancaria y de Valores, Mexico
- Dr. Ghiath Shabsigh, Assistant Director, Monetary and Capital Markets Department, International Monetary Fund
- Ms Zinga Venner, Manager of the Financial Reporting and Analysis Unit, World Bank
- Mr René van Wyk, Head of Bank Supervision and Registrar of Banks, South African Reserve Bank (representing the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision)
The new appointments follow the retirement from the IFRS Advisory Council of Simon Bradbury, Judith Downes, Patrice Marteau, Sylvie Matherat, Kenneth Sullivan and Will Widdowson.
The Trustees have also confirmed the appointment of Dr. Christoph Hütten as Vice-Chairman of the Advisory Council, replacing Patrice Marteau. Dr Hütten, Chief Accounting Officer of SAP AG and representative of the European Round Table of Industrialists and EuropeanIssuers, is an existing member of the Advisory Council. His term will be extended to 31 December 2014.
Commenting on the announcement, Paul Cherry, Chairman of the IFRS Advisory Council said;
"The Advisory Council provides an important sounding board for the Trustees and members of the IASB. I would like to take this opportunity to thank both the previous members for their invaluable contribution and the incoming members for agreeing to participate in the important work of the Council.
I would also like to place on record my thanks to Patrice Marteau, who has provided invaluable support throughout my tenure as Chairman."
A complete list of Advisory Council members can be found here.
Mark Byatt, Director of Communications and External Affairs, IFRS Foundation
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7246 6472
Chris Welsh, Communications Manager, IFRS Foundation
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7246 6495